Calligram Project

 Project: Calligram (I don't know why it looks so bad in the png) 

Redo: 

 



Inspiration:

Artist statement: 
When I get out of college I want to work in New York for a book publishing company. I am a huge book nerd. I have a book subscription box, where every month I get a book and 5 bookish items. This notebook came with my august box and I love the cover of it. So I tried to recreate it but instead of the hand, I wanted to have buildings to look like I'm in the city. The calligram is an open book with skyscrapers coming out of the pages. It is kind of like a backward pop-up book for children. I also added waves to look like grass so it was not boring. This was actually pretty easy to create. After I struggled with the other homework assignments, I finally got the hang of it for this project. 

The tools I used to create this piece of art on illustrator is the pen, the ellipse tool, the curvature tool, and the type on path tool. The pen I used to create the book and the buildings. I used the ellipse tool to create the spine of the book. I used the curvature tool to create the wavy grass. I used the type on the path on every shape.     
Letter to my future self:

Dear future me,  

Our 20th birthday is days away. Can you believe that! I know I can’t believe it either! Are you in New York City working for one of the biggest book publications? Or, are you in a small town running your own bookstorecafé? Either way I'm proud of you. We made it doing what we've dreamed of for a long time.  I really hope you are more adventurous, more talkative, and have the best friends we've always wanted. I hope the world isn't a shit show like it is right now gotta love pandemics. Theres so much I want to say but I can never put my thought down on words and you already know that. Don’t you just love the smell of books in the morning. Have you read a book recently that could top you know who? I'm in such a good mood right now that I just read THAT chapter. I'm laughing if you can't tell!!!!! Well I'm doing this for a digital media project which I really hope turns out the way I want it to, but it probably won't. Did you go to the world cup in Australia in 2023? Ugh I really hope you did go that would have been amazing. You better have gone to Italy and Greece as well. Hey, you know how we procrastinate a lot well I think I just learned how to do the two braid Dutch braid. It doesn’t look as good as the ones on Pinterest but, hey were learning whoop!  I have so many questions to ask of what we have done/ accomplish but I'm not going to ask them. You will get through this. You better still be listening to country music.Oh, what's going to be the best show in the future so I can look forward to watching it? Hey that reminds me of the New Girl episode where nick thinks he meets his future self. Well, anyways always be true to yourself.  

Love yeah 

Almost 20 year old, Eileen   
 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Somewhere

Tag Brush Project

Autoscopy